In several parts of the Brittany coast, recreational (and often also commercial) shellfish gathering bans or restrictions are in place due to:
- the high environmental value of the site; this can be the case, for example, for:
- the classified status of some shellfish beds, where shellfish gathering is regulated in order to protect shellfish populations.
Protected or classified areas in Brittany:
- The classified cockle and clam bed of Goas Treiz (Trébeurden)
- The classified cockle and clam bed of the Banc du Guer (Ploulec'h)
- The classified cockle and clam bed of Saint-Brieuc bay